Information about applying for a firearm permit:
- All Pennsylvania applicants are required to have a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license or a government-issued photo ID and must pay a a fee of $20 (cash only) at the time the application is submitted.
- Non-residents are required to have a driver’s license from where they reside and a valid carrying permit from their respective state. The fee is also $20 (cash only) at the time the application.
- All applications must have two references with their name, address and contact information.
- A photo will be taken at that time.
By state law, the Erie County Sheriff has the responsibility to process all applications for a license to carry firearms and to issue licenses to all those applicants who qualify, based on a background investigation done by the Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff also licenses all firearms dealers in Erie County. All licenses are processed through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System. Once an application for license to carry is filed, the sheriff has 45 days in which to do the investigation and notify the applicant. The permit is valid for five years. The sheriff has the ability to revoke the license at any time for misuse.
For more information on firearms licensing and safety, call the firearms division at 814-451-7444, Mondays through Fridays between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Application for License to Carry Firearms
- 2005 Amendment of Act 66 information
- Synopsis of Firearms Laws for Pennsylvania
- $75 per defendant civil service
- $300 per personal property execution
- $2,000 per real estate sale