Unified Planning Work Program
The Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) describes the Erie Metropolitan Planning Organization’s annual transportation planning activities in Erie County. Preparation of the UPWP is required by the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) and serves as the basis for federal funding assistance for transportation planning.
The UPWP helps MPO members coordinate various planning activities and relate transportation planning concerns to other planning activities in the region. Funding support for the work program comes from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA). Erie County, the Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority (EMTA) and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) provide the required matching funds for all UPWP tasks.
The Erie MPO also provides UPWP funds to Erie County municipalities and transportation authorities. Funded studies include:
- City of Erie Active Transportation Plan
- SR 97/505 Traffic Circulation Study in Millcreek Township
- Fairview Township Corridor Relief Study of PA 98/Avonia Road
- Lawrence Park Streetscape Plan
- EV Charging Needs Study for EMTA
- 12th Street Reimagined: Land Use and Transportation Study in the City of Erie