Obtaining a Marriage License
Both applicants, by appointment only, must appear in person with the following:
- Driver’s license or photo identification that shows your date of birth
- Social Security number (Social Security card is preferred, but if unavailable, please provide Social Security number in a written form)
- Each applicant will need to know your mother’s maiden name, your parents’ current addresses, the state where your parents were born, and your parents’ occupations.
- $60 fee, cash only
- You may contact the Marriage Bureau at 814-451-6347 to make an appointment to apply for your marriage license.
Please take note:
- If either applicant is divorced, or divorced more than once, you must bring your latest divorce decree. If either applicant has resumed a maiden name following the divorce, the applicant must submit proof of resuming his/ her maiden name.
- If your prior marriage was terminated by death, you must provide the death certificate, or at least a copy of the death certificate, for your former spouse.
- There is a three-day waiting period between the application and the issuance of license, and either applicant can pick up the license after the three-day waiting period.
- Your license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance, and it can only be used in Pennsylvania.
- Non-Pennsylvania residents may also secure a license in our office, but the license can only be used in Pennsylvania.
Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage Record
To obtain a copy of your marriage record and/or certified copy, supply the following information, either in person or by mail:
- The date of the marriage
- Both applicants’ full names, including maiden names if any.
- A cashier’s check, personal check or money order made payable to the Clerk of Records for the number of copies you are requesting at $5 for each certified copy (or $5 per copy in cash if in person)
- A printed and completed request for a certified copy of marriage license
- If requesting a copy by mail, send the above information, check or money order, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
- Marriage Bureau
Erie County Courthouse
140 West Sixth Street
Erie, PA 16501
- Marriage Bureau
- Download the latest fee schedule for the Marriage Bureau.