Obtaining a Marriage License
Both applicants, by appointment only, must appear in person with the following:
- Driver’s license or photo identification that shows your date of birth
- Social Security number (Social Security card is preferred, but if unavailable, please provide Social Security number in a written form)
- $60 fee, cash only
- You may contact the Marriage Bureau at 814-451-6347 to make an appointment to apply for your marriage license.
- Attached is an Application for marriage. Please print the form and bring the completed form to the Marriage Bureau at the time of your appointment. The application will be reviewed with you by the Marriage Clerk at the time of your appointment. Even though the completed form is not required, it may assist in the application process.
Please take note:
- If either applicant is divorced, or divorced more than once, you must bring your latest divorce decree. If either applicant has resumed a maiden name following the divorce, the applicant must submit proof of resuming his/ her maiden name.
- If your prior marriage was terminated by death, you must provide the death certificate, or at least a copy of the death certificate, for your former spouse.
- In Pennsylvania, there is a three-day waiting period following the date of application. You will be given a license at the time of application, but you cannot use the license and be married until 3 days later. If you are married within that 3 day period, the marriage will not be valid.
- Your license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance, and it can only be used in Pennsylvania.
- Non-Pennsylvania residents may also secure a license in our office, but the license can only be used in Pennsylvania.
Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage Record
To obtain a copy of your marriage record and/or certified copy, supply the following information, either in person or by mail:
- The date of the marriage
- Both applicants’ full names, including maiden names if any.
- A cashier’s check, personal check or money order made payable to the Clerk of Records for the number of copies you are requesting at $5 for each certified copy (or $5 per copy in cash if in person)
- A printed and completed request for a certified copy of marriage license
- If requesting a copy by mail, send the above information, check or money order, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
- Marriage Bureau
Erie County Courthouse
140 West Sixth Street
Erie, PA 16501
- Marriage Bureau
- Download the latest fee schedule for the Marriage Bureau.