Food Employee Certification Program
Pennsylvania requires that most retail food facilities employ at least one certified food employee who is accredited by a nationally recognized food safety program. The certified food employee is the person in charge when at the facility. When not present at the facility, the certified person must be accessible by phone during the facility’s hours of operation. The Erie County Department of Health offers a course to prepare food handlers to take the National Registry of Food Safety Professionals exam, which is a nationally recognized program that meets the state’s requirements.
Call 814-451-6740 to obtain a course brochure and for information on course availability.
Courses are via Zoom and are spread over two days. Sign-In for both days is 8:30 a.m. The first day is from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The second day is 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Zoom link and additional information about the course will be sent out the week prior. The test will be done in person at the Erie County’s Blasco Memorial Library.
- April 19 and 26, 2021; exam is on April 28, 2021
- May 17 and 24, 2021; exam is on May 26, 2021
- June 21 and 28, 2021; exam is on June 30, 2021
- July 20 and 27, 2021; exam is on July 29, 2021
- August 23 and 30, 2021; exam is on September 1, 2021
- September 20 and 27, 2021; exam is on September 29, 2021
- October 18 and 25, 2021; exam is on October 27, 2021
- November 8 and 15, 2021; exam is on November 17, 2021
- $155 – Course and exam
- $ 75 – Exam only