The Erie County Department of Health oversees the Nicotine Free Northwest Pennsylvania Program, which provides tobacco education, prevention & quitting resources such as classes & support programs for Cameron, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Venango & Warren counties.
Quit Smoking, Vaping or Chewing Tobacco
Call 814-451-6700 for
- schedule and locations of free local classes on how to quit
- vaping or e-cigarettes
- chewing or snuffing tobacco
- information on programs that offer free support such as patches and gum
- Youth: The Tobacco Resistance Unit (TRU)program engages young people in tobacco prevention and advocacy efforts.
For details or to start a TRU group, visit the TRU website or call 814-451-6700.
- Youth: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention – Youth Tobacco Prevention
- Women: Smoking & Pregnancy
- African Americans: National African American Tobacco Prevention Network
- Latinos: National Latino Tobacco Control Network
No Smoking in Business Establishments
Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act (Senate Bill 246) prohibits smoking in a public place or a workplace. For details on penalties and an updated list of establishments, visit the Pennsylvania Department of Health Clean Indoor Air website.
Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act requires certain businesses to post at all entrances either a “no smoking” or “smoking permitted” sign. The Pennsylvania Department of Health offers a signage toolkit for businesses to download, print and use.
Want to Learn More?
- American Cancer Society
- American Lung Association
- American Heart Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including state-level data on tobacco use prevention and control.
- Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Tobacco Products
- Great American Smoke Out
- Kick Butts Day
- National Center for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco
- Pennsylvania Department of Health Division of Tobacco Control and Prevention
- The Truth.com
About Nicotine Free Northwest Pennsylvania
Nicotine Free Northwest Pennsylvania, formerly called the Northwest Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Program, is a program overseen by the Erie County Department of Health that works to achieve the following goals:
- Prevent initiation of tobacco use among young people.
- Promote quitting among young people and adults.
- Eliminate non-smokers’ exposure to tobacco smoke pollution.
- Identify and eliminate disparities related to tobacco use.
For details, call 814-451-6700.