The Erie County Department of Health oversees the Nicotine Free Northwest Pennsylvania Program, which provides tobacco education, prevention & quitting resources such as classes & support programs for Cameron, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Venango & Warren counties.
Quit Smoking, Vaping or Chewing Tobacco
Call 814-451-6700 for
- schedule and locations of free local classes on how to quit
- vaping or e-cigarettes
- chewing or snuffing tobacco
- information on programs that offer free support such as patches and gum
Other free resources for you or a loved one looking to quit smoking or vaping:
For help on how to quit smokeless tobacco (chewing or snuffing), visit:
- Youth: The Tobacco Resistance Unit (TRU)program engages young people in tobacco prevention and advocacy efforts.
For details or to start a TRU group, visit the TRU website or call 814-451-6700.
- Youth: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention – Youth Tobacco Prevention
- Women: Smoking & Pregnancy
- African Americans: National African American Tobacco Prevention Network
- Latinos: National Latino Tobacco Control Network
No Smoking in Business Establishments
Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act (Senate Bill 246) prohibits smoking in a public place or a workplace. For details on penalties and an updated list of establishments, visit the Pennsylvania Department of Health Clean Indoor Air website.
Report a Violation
To report a violation of the Clean Indoor Air Act, call 1-877-835-9535 or submit a report online.
Pennsylvania’s Clean Indoor Air Act requires certain businesses to post at all entrances either a “no smoking” or “smoking permitted” sign. The Pennsylvania Department of Health offers a signage toolkit for businesses to download, print and use.
Want to Learn More?
- American Cancer Society
- American Lung Association
- American Heart Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including state-level data on tobacco use prevention and control.
- Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Tobacco Products
- Great American Smoke Out
- Kick Butts Day
- National Center for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco
- Pennsylvania Department of Health Division of Tobacco Control and Prevention
- The Truth.com
About Nicotine Free Northwest Pennsylvania
Nicotine Free Northwest Pennsylvania, formerly called the Northwest Pennsylvania Tobacco Control Program, is a program overseen by the Erie County Department of Health that works to achieve the following goals:
- Prevent initiation of tobacco use among young people.
- Promote quitting among young people and adults.
- Eliminate non-smokers’ exposure to tobacco smoke pollution.
- Identify and eliminate disparities related to tobacco use.
For details, call 814-451-6700.