Erie County Council works to serve the citizens of Erie County as their legislative voice in articulating and funding their prerogatives and needs as well as the services mandated by Commonwealth law.
Erie County Council is the legislative branch of Erie County government. Council is responsible for passing the county budget, which in 2022 is about $530 million. Council, acting as the County Board of Elections, oversees Erie County’s Elections and Voting offices. Council Members also sit as the Board of Trustees for Pleasant Ridge Manor, the county’s skilled nursing home facility, and supervise the Erie County Human Relations Commission.
Each of County Council’s seven Members represents a council district in Erie County. Your legislators on County Council also act as liaison between County Departments or Authorities and the public.
2023 Meeting Schedule- Finance and Personnel / County Council
Erie County Council wishes to contract the services of a Financial Adviser/CPA in its mission to serve the citizens of Erie County as their legislative voice in articulating and funding their prerogatives and needs as well as the services mandated by Commonwealth law. A strong independent financial voice is vital to Council fulfilling its duties and responsibilities; including the adoption of a balanced County budget by December 1 of the preceding year and maintaining the fund balance. Council expects its Financial Adviser to analyze all personnel and financial ordinances and resolutions placed before Council. Other duties include• Review of all monthly financial statements of Erie County government for anomalies or unusual activities of expenditures.
• Prepare and/or review of all request for proposals for the audits of the general fund and other funds.
• Provide general accounting consultation as needed for individual members or County Council as a whole.
• Review audits performed on funds of Erie County government and its blended component units.
• Review and analysis of proposed bond issues for Erie County government.
• Attend specified County Council Finance, Personnel, Regular, and Special Meetings as needed.
• Analyze and review the County Executive’s proposed budget each year.
• Prepare budget actions sheets for County Council budget proposal.
• Attend County Council budget meetings in October and November.
The applicant may work on his or her own or for a firm. We ask that the applicant or firm provide the names and contact information of five (5) current clients. Details of any investigations or actions taken against you or your firm by any governmental bodies. Include a copy of your most recent Peer Review. Proof of minimum professional liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence; $1,000,000 aggregate. Detail your experience or your firm’s experience with governmental units. Please supply a biography and resume. Compensation will be discussed upon interview. Please send your resume, and letter of interest to the Erie County Clerk, Julie Slomski: firstname.lastname@example.org.