The Clerk of Courts has some responsibilities that are civil in nature, such as maintaining road dockets, liquor board matters and other miscellaneous dockets. These civil responsibilities only account for a small percentage of the clerk’s responsibilities. Again, the major focus is criminal records.
Primary Functions of the Clerk of Courts
- Accepts bail bonds to release defendants from custody. The costs associated with this service are the amount of the bond, plus a $16.50 filing fee.
- Performs criminal record searches on adults. There is a $10 search fee for this service. You may also visit the state’s website to search for public web docket sheets.
- Accepts and processes summary appeals from Magisterial District Judge decisions, including traffic code violations. There is a $43.50 non-refundable fee for filing this appeal.
- Accepts and processes direct appeals from the Court of Common Pleas to the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. There is a filing fee of $43.50 to the Clerk of Courts for this service along with a Superior Court filing fee for $90.25 (a separate check or money order is needed).
- Bond Information
- Bond Information (Property)
- Erie County Law Enforcement Agencies
- Erie County Pardon Project Information
- Erie County Project Intake Form
- Expungement (Common Pleas ARD)
- Expungement Instructions
- Expungement Order
- Limited Access Instructions
- Limited Access Order
- Limited Access Petition
- Magisterial District Judges
- Pennsylvania State Police Access and Review Background Check
- Petition for Expungement Pursuant to Pa.R.Crim.P. 490
- Petition for Expungement Pursuant to Pa.R.Crim.P. 790
- Summary Appeal Form
- Summary Appeal Information