Beginning May 11, 2020, there will be limited access to the Clerk of Records offices by appointment for Title Searchers. To request placement on the schedule, contact: email@example.com. To maintain safety, compliance with mask and social distancing guidelines is required. Policy subject to change as circumstances dictate.
The Clerk of Courts’ main responsibility is to act as custodian for all criminal court records. These records consist of motions, pleadings, transcripts and any other filing that is related to a criminal case.
The Clerk of Courts has some responsibilities that are civil in nature, such as maintaining road dockets, liquor board matters and other miscellaneous dockets. These civil responsibilities only account for a small percentage of the clerk’s responsibilities. Again, the major focus is criminal records.
Primary Functions of the Clerk of Courts
- Accepts bail bonds to release defendants from custody. The costs associated with this service are the amount of the bond, plus a $16.50 filing fee.
- Performs criminal record searches on adults. There is a $10 search fee for this service. You may also visit the state’s website to search for public web docket sheets.
- Accepts and processes summary appeals from Magisterial District Judge decisions, including traffic code violations. There is a $43.50 non-refundable fee for filing this appeal.
- Accepts and processes direct appeals from the Court of Common Pleas to the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. There is a filing fee of $43.50 to the Clerk of Courts for this service along with a Superior Court filing fee for $90.25 (a separate check or money order is needed).
- Bond Information
- Bond Information (Property)
- Erie County Law Enforcement Agencies
- Expungement (Common Pleas ARD)
- Expungement Instructions
- Expungement Order
- How to Request a Governor’s Pardon
- Limited Access Instructions
- Limited Access Order
- Limited Access Petition
- Magisterial District Judges
- Pennsylvania State Police Access and Review Background Check
- Petition for Expungement Pursuant to Pa.R.Crim.P. 490
- Petition for Expungement Pursuant to Pa.R.Crim.P. 790
- Summary Appeal Form
- Summary Appeal Information