The Erie County Clerk of Records performs the duties of the Clerk of Courts, Prothonotary, Recorder of Deeds, Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans’ Court divisions, according to all legal authorities governing those bureaus.
The Erie County Clerk of Records oversees the following offices, pursuant to Erie County’s Home Rule Charter:
- Clerk of Courts – maintains records for criminal courts
- Prothonotary – processes and maintains civil court records
- Recorder of Deeds – reviews, records and indexes documents relating to real estate
- Register of Wills – maintains records relating to estates and the probate of wills.
- Clerk of the Orphans’ Court – maintains records relating to adoption and guardianship
- Marriage Licenses Bureau – maintains records relating to marriages