Why Erie County PA?
With our convenient access to highways, rail, water and air, Erie County is an ideal spot to start or expand your business.
Our proud manufacturing heritage has created a highly skilled multigenerational workforce, and our four major universities, including the largest medical school in the United States, supply partners for research and training.
We boast big-city opportunities with a small-town feel, which keeps our costs of living surprisingly low.
First Stop for Businesses- Expansion, Relocation, and Site Development
- Erie County Economic Development Department– The Erie County Economic Development Department/Fusion Strategy was created by County Executive Brenton Davis to advance regional economic development efforts by coordinating and utilizing all resources in a more efficient and effective manner. The purpose of the Fusion Strategy is to bring all of the municipalities throughout Erie County, and beyond, into the economic development ecosystem.
- Erie County Data Center – This cutting-edge online data hub operates out of the Erie County Department of Economic Development. The site is a vital tool for business owners and site selectors, allowing users to drill down on data like infrastructure, real estate, demographics, transportation and more.
- Largest Employers in Erie County PA
Focus on Small Business & Entrepreneurship
Erie County PA has a number of initiatives to support anyone who has an idea for a product or a dream for a business:
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners– Need Startup Funding in PA? We Invest In Innovation! Are you looking for funding to help develop and commercialize a new, innovative product or process? Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Central and Northern PA (BFTP/CNP) has been investing in tech startups and small manufacturers located in our 32 county footprint for more than 30 years.
- Erie County Redevelopment Authority – The authority’s development team works to foster investment in the region by providing low-interest financing, real estate services and grant assistance to businesses and nonprofits.
- Northwestern Pennsylvania Innovation Beehive Network – This is our region’s hub for entrepreneurship. The beehive features five grant-funded centers working collaboratively to support thinkers and doers at all stages of their business development. The process starts at Erie County’s Idea Lab, before moving along to Erie County’s four major universities (Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Gannon University, Mercyhurst University and Penn State Behrend), each of which play a specialized role within the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Flagship Opportunity Zone – The single point of entry for investors interested in Erie’s Opportunity Zones, the Flagship helps to pool local capital and identify projects, investors and funds. It also helps promote the Zone and connect eligible projects with entrepreneurs.
A Greener Economy
Erie County’s economic fortunes are intertwined with its natural environment, thanks to its position along Lake Erie. Erie County is working to take advantage of these connections, which can boost the economy while protecting our valuable natural resources.
- Erie 2030 District – Erie County is a founding partner in the Erie 2030 District, a collaborative effort to create a groundbreaking, high-performance building district. District partners set realistic, achievable goals to reduce energy and water consumption, thus creating savings for property owners and increasing competitiveness in the business world.